When the Wolf Howls
- Carl: A farmer, or anyone with equivalent social status.
- Cottar: The lowest free social class, covering people from stickpickers to gardeners, craftsmen, and poor farmers.
- Daimon: A petty god, often without an individual name or personality.
- Fyrd: The clan militia, which defends the tula.
- Godi: Fem. gyrda, pl. godar. A god-talker.
- Hearth: A home, or household.
- Kinstrife: Any conflict that involves kinsmen on opposing sides.
- Longhouse: The typical Orlanthi dwelling and the center of life. A wooden or stone building of sixty to one hundred feet in length where most Orlanthi will eat, sleep, cook and entertain.
- Moot: The formal meeting of all adults of a clan or tribe.
- Predark: The gods or creatures of Chaos.
- Skald: A poet or other traveling “high entertainer” (as opposed to jesters, jugglers, and other low entertainers).
- Stead: An Orlanthi farm, including the surrounding building.
- Stickpicker: A poor person who collects wood for a living.
- Thane: An appointed nobleman.
- Thrall: A slave.
- Tula: The lands claimed by a clan, tied to it by their wyter.
- Wyrd: Fate, doom.
- Wyter: A daimon or lesser god who protects and is worshipped by a clan, tribe, or other community.